Get FREE legal advice for tenants from Natasha Hall Law.

If you are a tenant or leaseholder and your landlord has failed to carry out their responsibility, you could make a claim for compensation to cover the repairs and payment of your legal costs and even pain, suffering and loss of amenity.

We specialise in compensation for tenants including disrepair compensation cases. There are a number of reasons why tenants may want to sue their landlord and there are a lot of different factors determining how much compensation you will be awarded and our experienced Solicitor will be able to advise you on this and guide you through the tenant landlord laws.


Natasha Batty

Natasha Batty

Principal Solicitor

Speak directly with our Principal Tenant's solicitor based in our Heswall office.  No call centres or inexperienced legal advisers, just FREE expert advice on laws for tenants and landlords. 


No win no fee solicitors for tenants

Take away some of the risk when it comes to making a claim. No win no fee means you only pay solicitors fees for landlord compensation claims when you are successful. 


What is Compensation For Pain, Suffering and loss of amenity?

Due to the inconvenience and distress that can be caused by having to live in a property in disrepair or by having to leave your home as a result of the disrepair, you are entitled to be compensated for this. 

If you are a tenant, this will be calculated in relation to your rent. Alternatively, if you are a leaseholder, it would be calculated on the market rent for your property if you were to let this out to an assured shorthold tenant.  

You essentially will receive a percentage of your rent back for the period in which you have had to live with disrepair. You can still claim this even if someone else pays your rent, such as the Local Council under housing benefit. 

Contact us today if you think you might have a claim against your landlord for disrepair.  We will arrange a convenient time to discuss your case and may be able to take this on under a no-win, no-fee agreement.

Can I Sue My Landlord?

The short answer is yes. But there are a few stages that you need to go through. And new laws in 2020 have made Landlord's responsibilities clearer. We have further guidance here (including the different things that you can sue your landlord for): can I sue my landlord in the UK?

Compensation For Lost Items

If your belongings have been damaged as a result of disrepair, for example water damaged by a leak, or you have been put to extra expense, for example having to pay higher heating bills due to draughty windows, you will also be compensated for this loss.

It is helpful if you have proof that you had and then lost the items for example in the form of receipts and photographs as this will often determine the amount you will receive.

What Can't I Sue My Landlord For?

There are a few things you can't sue your landlord for ranging from problems that arise from your behaviour as a tenant or events that are beyond the landlord's control such as fire, floods or natural disasters.

Can I Sue My Landlord For Mould & Damp?

As of March 2020, you can sue your landlord for mould and damp if your property has not been maintained properly by the landlord and the property is not deemed fit for habitation.  Your Solicitor will be able to talk you through the process and steps you need to go through to sue your landlord for mould and damp.


My Landlord didn’t protect my deposit within 30 days

If your landlord has not protected your deposit within 30 days, you can take legal action against them, including claiming back up to 3X the original deposit amount as compensation.It can be painful parting with a tenancy deposit and even more painful when you don’t get it back from your landlord or only get some

​Read More

7 things to do if your UK landlord is not doing repairs

Landlords in the UK are liable for providing habitable living space to the residential tenants without interfering with their privacy. As a tenant, you have the right to sue your landlord if he or she neglects his or her responsibilities. If your landlord neglects to do vital repairs that leave you exposed to danger, then

​Read More
man in suit with banana

Getting your deposit back from a landlord

Landlord not returning your deposit? Here’s what to do. If you’ve rented any form of accommodation from a private landlord and have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, you could be eligible to make a no win no fee claim for damages against them, as well as claiming up to 3 times the original deposit amount.  When you

​Read More
students laughing

How to get your deposit back for student accommodation

If you’ve rented any form of student accommodation from a private landlord and have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, you could be eligible to make a no win no fee claim for damages against them and you could be entitled to as much as 3 times the original deposit amount. When you legally hand over a

​Read More
can I sue my landlord

Can I sue my landlord in the UK?

New laws have recently made it easier than ever for tenants to sue their landlord in the UK. If you feel that your health or well-being has been affected as a result of landlord negligence, here’s everything you need to know.

​Read More
leaking gutter

Compensation For Disrepair Example

When you’re renting your home from a landlord and things go wrong, clients often ask us “How much can I sue my landlord for?” A client of ours was recently awarded £4500.00 after living in a property in disrepair for almost 4 years. Here’s how.  The property had both defective guttering and a roof outside,

​Read More